When creating a homebrew magic item, the options for charges are mostly manual, and do not tie in to the DnDB character sheet well. My improvement suggestions are as follows:
- Map each charge reset condition to the character sheet action. In particular short rest and long rest tied to the existing buttons. Auto clear used charges, or pull up a modal that links the player to each of their effected weapons.
- In the long run it would be a 'nice to have' to tie to a "new dawn" button (but that doesn't currently exist on char sheet).
- It would also be nice to remove the item on use, for consumables (with warning pop-up).
- Nice to have - for multi-day slow recharge items like Ebony Fly, show a "number of days" till recharge. I think it is safe to use "long rest" for this, since RAW prevents more than one long rest per day.
- I'd like to see "charge reset description" expressed as a dice equation instead of text, or have a dice equation field added. This would enable future "dice roller" functionality of the character sheet to auto-roll the added charges when the above actions are triggered.
Even #1 would go a long way for me. A lot of my homebrews are simple, single charge, reset on long rest. I run a pretty magic rich campaign, and the charge tracking can become quite a burden for players to hunt through each magic item and clear charges used after a long rest.
Please sign in to leave a comment.